All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without the benefit of experience."

— Henry Miller, Author

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Feeling Lazy?

Some days I just DON'T want to go to the gym and I mean, it's okay to not be in the mood sometimes. I try not to neglect my workout and will plan a "makeup day". There are days where I just can't wait to get to the gym, days when I'm rather indifferent, and some days where I have to tell myself "just get there and figure the rest out later" because if I think about my workout, I surely won't go.


Over the past 3 years, I've been a member of 3 different gyms (I've finally settled somewhere that I LOVE) and have found some of the most amazing people at these locations. Sometimes when I just don't feel like going to the gym, instead of asking myself "what would so-and-so do" I'll think about the guy with bilateral lower leg amputations who attended my old gym. Or the guy who survived 3 strokes. 3 strokes, and would seemingly be at the gym 10 hours a day. I mean it didn't matter what time a day I'd go, he was there complete with his sweat bands, ready to get in on. The most amazing person of all is the most recent one, a guy with  spinal cord injury who is obviously rehabilitating the use of his legs. I saw this guy do laps around the gym with a walker, pushing the walker ahead then jumping up to meet it.... for hours.




I think that having been in environments where I've cared for similar patients who either haven't been able to rehab so well because of either their condition or their lack of will to have to start so "far behind" makes these people seem so amazing to me. These people are all so positive and upbeat while they bust their asses harder than anyone I've ever seen in the pursuit of their former baseline level of mobility. When I think about these guys I think there really aren't many valid excuses to not take charge of your health.


I hope that in my own "fitness future" I'm able to continually push myself to the next level each and every chance I get. For me, thinking about all of the people that aren't able to do so due to injuries and illnesses kind of makes it seem like it's my responsibility to give my body and my life the gift of fitness.


Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment