All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without the benefit of experience."

— Henry Miller, Author

Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sunday Morning Latte Talk.....

What a great week! Save for the snow and epic cold, I had a fantastically action packed 7 days. Being originally from GA it's has taken some time for me to get used to snow, but I think after last Winter's never-ending storms I've been well broken in. It was my first year driving in snow, DRIVING DURING BLIZZARDS, driving long distances to places I wasn't familiar with, etc. I think I'm probably one of the only people I know that thinks driving in these conditions is just SO MUCH FUN!

What I've come to love the most about snowfall is the sound. Everything just seems so quiet when it snows and as the snow falls, there's a kind of white noise that can only be described as calming to the soul. Something like a summer night's breeze. Even though most places around here didn't get a great deal of snow last week (except for Dracut) I still was able to have a brief moment that morning enjoying the calm of the snow. The funny thing about was that in that moment, I remembered that I have been FORGETTING to take a few moments for myself each day. In that moment I was reminded just how important those few moments can be. Some of you know about the many things on my plate outside of work and working out. As these things independently require 100% of my time and attention (in a perfect world) I often find myself overwhelmed and in need of a break. Well, not really a break, but some time to step outside of the chaos to remember why it all must be endured and to remind myself that though I am IN the chaos, I am NOT chaos.

I don't think that I'm alone in this. We all have busy lives and juggle many roles such as Mother, employee, boss, wife, student, etc. It's easy to get caught up in what you do and forget where YOU fit into all of it.

I am quite a frequent traveller, and my favorite part about the pre-flight instructions is where they tell you in the event of an emergency should the oxygen masks be released, apply the mask to yourself before assisting other passengers. That is the point at which I stop listening. I can't be anything to anybody else unless I'm complete in myself. If I'm constantly stressed out about juggling roles, or mounting obligations and the like, there's no way that I can perform for anyone else to any useful degree.

I said all of that to say this; Take a few minutes of every day to just close your eyes and tune into yourself, where ever you are. Take a few deep breaths and feel them move through your entire body and allow yourself to become fully aware of your body and mind. Be your own visitor. When you open your eyes, you'll return to the same world, but you return at a different place in time; able to make a fresh start for yourself moving forward.  

No comments:

Post a Comment