All growth is a leap in the dark, a spontaneous unpremeditated act without the benefit of experience."

— Henry Miller, Author

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NPC New England

I was fortunate enough to attend the NPC New England Championships on Halloween. I took the day off 6 weeks in advance to make sure that I wouldn't miss it. I'm SOOO glad I didn't! It was my first (live) show and holy hell did it rock! My mother and my boyfriend went with me, neither of whom really wanted to. I had to give my mother a talking to as she continually made negative comments prior to the start of the show. She quite vocally expressed her disdain for the the physique of female bodybuilders and even some of the the other far less muscular competitors. I had to keep telling her to shutup etc etc which didn't work so well. Then I finally had to say to her "Look, the shit you're saying is pretty offensive. It's the same thing as someone saying that your relationship with Daddy is 'disgusting'. (they're an interracial couple) You don't have to do what they do, but just because it doesn't interest you doesn't make it disgusting." After this she shut her filthy mouth (lol) and when she DID comment, she was singing a different tune.

When the show started and the male bodybuilders came out she began to enjoy herself. By the end of the show, she commented that she could see me competing in figure, which means the day was a win overall. But um, the show was everything I hoped it would be (in person that is). I have to say, I felt like I belonged there. I'm so excited for all of the "Savage wins" and it makes me even more proud to be part of such an amazing team.

Short and sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment